quote

Know, first, who you are then adorn yourself accordingly

THEN AND NOW.....

After hearing a million great reviews from friends I finally had a chance to see Woody Allen's Midnight In Paris. And if you haven't seen it-GO. Its a great film. But of course you have already, everyone has!




Funny thing is: everyone simply said, "go watch it." No one gave any details on the plot. Oh, and watching the trailer doesn't help at all. I was completely unprepared.  Because one would hope that you've seen this movie by now (I'm usually the lasts to know these things), I'm going to tell you what happens.

The bare bones, anyway. Owen Wilson's character, while traveling in Paris with his somewhat-but-really superficial fiance and her upper crust parents, dotes on the city's past charms and envisions himself as a writer there in some cold poor garret like his heroes of the city's bygone twenty's era. Suddenly its show-and-tell as he's transported there! While there lauding the great attributes he meets a young lady who believes there is nothing better than the Belle Epoque of the 1890's. And he it dawns on him! It's a classic case of the grass on the other side is greener and comes with a great gardener-type deal. We all must deal with what we have and make the most of where we are and not pine for other times lost. Like I said, really great film.

In a lot of ways I saw myself in his character. I've always felt like I was a bit old fashioned in my thinking and perhaps from another period. My mother denies this, as she was there at my birth. But she does say that she didn't believe in reincarnation before me. She swears I'm from another time and place. It's fun to take the Stephanie of the 21 century and incorporate a little past lives into it. Yes, sometimes I feel stuffy and out of place with my manners and vintage furniture. But its a part of me.


 I'd like to be born in the Roaring Twenties and growing up and maturing in the 30's and 40's. Women were fighting the typical housewife image with their pants, short skirts and attacking the job force before it became the norm again in the Fifties.

Which is your favorite time period? Watch as we go through them all here!


“This film is a 100 year countdown to the grand opening of Westfield Stratford City on September 13th 2011, and celebrates a century of East London fashion, dance and music.

"Directed by Jake Lunt with The Viral Factory, the film was shot over 4 days in east London locations with hundreds of costume changes. The music was commissioned from Oscar nominated genius Tristin Norwell who took a simple tune and interpreted it for each decade over 100 years.”


Did you go through each decade in your head like I did? Its okay to watch again!

-Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment